Skip to main content

Margaret Atwood's "Variations on the Word Sleep"

Margaret Atwood is quite famous these days as the author of The Handmaid's Tale. If you haven't read it, well, it's an enticing read to say the least. However, I personally am a bigger fan of Atwood's poetry. Variations on the Word Sleep is one of my favorites. I won't tell you what I think it means. Atwood's poetry can be fairly open to interpretation. Enjoy!




I would like to watch you sleeping,
which may not happen.
I would like to watch you,
sleeping. I would like to sleep
with you, to enter
your sleep as its smooth dark wave
slides over my head

and walk with you through that lucent
wavering forest of bluegreen leaves
with its watery sun & three moons
towards the cave where you must descend,
towards your worst fear

I would like to give you the silver
branch, the small white flower, the one
word that will protect you
from the grief at the center
of your dream, from the grief
at the center I would like to follow
you up the long stairway
again & become
the boat that would row you back
carefully, a flame
in two cupped hands
to where your body lies
beside me, and as you enter
it as easily as breathing in

I would like to be the air
that inhabits you for a moment
only. I would like to be that unnoticed
& that necessary.  
                       

This poem was published by Margaret Atwood in Selected Poems II: 1976-1986.

Popular posts from this blog

Artist Profile - Andy Goldsworthy

Are you an avid hiker, naturalist or just like to sit out on in the fresh air? Or do you simply enjoy beautiful sights? Of course, beauty can be found just about anywhere. Because I am lucky to live in a wooded community I am treated to a daily concert of sights and sounds and no day is the same. The Artist Andy Goldsworthy Source: Kidzworld.com As someone who has always enjoyed nature and art I was thrilled to discover the art of Andy Goldsworthy. Although I've known his work since the mid-nineties he never ceases to enchant me. If you don't know who he is, prepare to be amazed. Goldsworthy is a man who enjoys the colors and textures of nature and presents them in a way you likely have never seen before. And, you don't have to be a nature-lover to appreciate his art. Rowan Leaves & Hole Source: Morning-Earth.org Goldsworthy is considered a pre-eminent "Earthworks" artist. This trend in art-making was popularized in the 1980s and 90s but

Art, butterflies and flowers - a hearty morning walk around the Smith-Gilbert Gardens

We all have local places that we mean to visit but never do. And, you know, most of the time we really, really do want to go, right? My list of places is mostly outdoors - to visit local parks, gardens and trails and also to travel to all the beautiful waterfalls in Georgia.  AN UNPLANNED VISIT The Smith-Gilbert Gardens in Kennesaw is practically around the corner and I'd known about it for years. But I never put it in the family's weekend plans. Two Saturdays ago we finally visited - on the fly. Other plans fell through and we still wanted to get outside. The Smith-Gilbert Gardens were just minutes away so we decided to go there. What a charming and playful garden it is! It is not overwhelmingly large.  The well-designed grounds offer a variety of plant life for you to enjoy - and plenty of shade. The Woodland Walk is not very long, maybe a half mile, and takes you around the entire property under an umbrella of cooling trees.  There are plenty of places to si

Crafty Lion Collage - How to Make Your Own

I completed this colorful mixed media collage yesterday and am pretty pleased with how it turned out. It helps that it's my 5th version, which is a tendency I have. Making variations on a theme until I can't stand it. This is a great rainy day activity for anybody and is a great project to do with kids. Would you like to try to make one? It's all a matter of materials and steps. If you want to have a go read on... MATERIALS & TOOLS Colorful Paper - not too thick so that the paper can absorb the adhesive really well. The colors I used are taupe (I cut this one 12x12" and worked on that surface), mustard, grass green, lime green, burgundy, red violet, red and white. You don't have to follow this exactly. NOTE: Keep the paper thin. No to cardboard and thick paper; Yes to magazine and newspaper. Paint - white and brown Adhesive - I use Blickrylic Polymer Gloss Medium but good old Modge Podge will work fine, too. You can get the latter at any craft stor